Working with language, texts and words is a common thread that runs through my professional career. Translation, interpreting, terminology and technical editing – I have learnt everything from scratch and implemented it in a wide variety of positions and projects. I have continually enriched this technical expertise through excursions into other cultures and industries and with numerous other professional and social competences.
I would like to pass on my practical experience so that as many companies as possible can benefit by introducing and conducting terminology work and translation management, on a large or small scale, with a practical orientation and cost-effectively.
- Since October 2013: Self-employed at Büro b3
- Since 2013: Teaching position at the Zurich University of Applied Sciences in Winterthur
- Since 2009: Teaching position at the Rapperswil Institute of Technology
- 2011 to 2013: Self-employed work as senior consultant for terminology and translation management at Termsolutions
- 2007 to 2011: Director of language services at Geberit International AG
- 2005 to 2006: Advanced training as terminologist (CAS Zurich University of Applied Sciences in Winterthur)
- Since 2004: Practical experience as terminologist and translation manager
- 2002 to 2003: Advanced training as certified Swiss technical editor
- 1996 to 2007: Technical editor (aviation, software, sanitation technology)
- 1995 to 1996: Teaching position at IFA Erlangen with emphasis on terminology, translation and liaison interpreting
- 1989 to 1996: Various positions in companies involved in aviation, medical technology and telecommunications
- 1987 to 1989: Studies in translation and interpreting for German and Spanish with English as secondary language, specializing in economics; graduated as state-certified translator
- 1985 to 1987: Basic studies in geography, geology and macroeconomics
- SDL MultiTerm (Desktop und Server)
- MultiTerm Extract
- Excelling Multiterm
Dr. A. Weilandt, B. Früh: Taxonomie vs. Terminologie – zwei Welten oder nur zwei verschiedene Perspektiven? in edition 1/2018, Hrsg. Deutscher Terminologie-Tag e.V..
B. Früh, F. Deubzer: „Von der Terminologieverwaltung zur Wissensorganisation“ in: edition 1/2016, Hrsg. Deutscher Terminologie-Tag e.V.
Modul 5 Projekt- und Prozessmanagement in: Best Practices, DTT e.V.
Workshop: “Reach your goal by using the appropriate taxonomy“
tecom Switzerland in Zurich in October 2016 and Tekom annual conference (tcworld) in November 2016, Stuttgart
Workshop about “Reach your goal by using the appropriate taxonomy“ together with Prof. Dr. Annette Verhein-Jarren (HSR, Rapperswil)
Lecture: Terminology Summer School 2016, Vienna
Lecture (in English) at the Terminology Summer School in July 2016 in Vienna about „How to present the business case for terminology“
German (native language), English (fluent), Spanish (fluent), French (fluent) and Italian (basic skills)
My areas of technical expertise include especially:
- Mechanical and plant engineering
- Automotive industry
- Medical technology
- Sanitation technology
- Flooring technology
- Aviation industry
- Software industry
Publications & Presentations
A list of my current publications and documentation for workshops and presentations can be found here.