Terminologist and Translator
Since September 1, 2020, I have been working part-time with Büro b3 as terminologist and project manager, in parallel I continue to work as a freelance translator. Translating is my passion, retrieving and collecting specialist terminology that matches the text perfectly is a conditio sine qua non in the process!
I met Beate Früh in a seminar on terminology she held in spring 2016 which was hosted by the BDÜ, the largest organization of professional interpreters and translators in Germany. In summer 2016, Beate asked me whether I would like to work in one of her terminology projects as a freelancer. I agreed and thus delved into the world of standardizing terminology work. Another project followed in 2019. In summer 2020, a further service request popped up – this time the focus was on electrical engineering, so-to-speak a home run for me, since I had served a global player from the world of electric power generation and distribution and electrical installations as a freelance translator for years. Instead of another freelance job, a career opportunity as salaried terminologist opened up.
- Translation service provider in Erlangen since March 2004
- 2002 until 2016: regular participation in seminars and workshops organized by the BDÜ on topics such as tool-based translation (Trados), interpreting, technical English, translating for notaries
- Sworn translator for the English language, appointed by Nürnberg-Fürth Regional Court on September 25, 2000
- September 2002 until February 2004: technical translator with Ingenieurbüro Ronnie McGeehan in Neuses near Erlangen
- August 1999 until June 2002: technical translator with Mohles GmbH at Erlangen
- School year 1998/99: English teacher at Mainleus Waldorf school
- September 1997 until August 1998: part-time employed in the project administration team at the Language Center of Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg
- April 1996 until July 1997: secondary school teacher at Werner-von-Siemens-Gymnasium, Weißenburg i. Bay.
- February 1996: 2nd state examination in English Language and Literature with History for secondary school teaching
- 1994 bis 1996: practical teacher training at Hans-Sachs-Gymnasium in Nuremberg and Bernhard-Strigel-Gymnasium in Memmingen
- June 1991 until January 1994: part-time secretary for the Regulatory Affairs Manager of Ohmeda GmbH in Erlangen, a manufacturer of medical devices
- 1992: state examination of translators taken at IFA (Institut für Fremdsprachen und Auslandskunde) in Erlangen.
Having acquired my diploma as state-examined translator for the English language in December 1992, I performed my first translations for DIN, the German standardization body, in the field of medical engineering.
- June 1990 until May 1991: employed in the newspaper archive of Nürnberger Nachrichten
- 1981/82 and 1982/1983: foreign exchange student at New University of Ulster (N.U.U.), Coleraine, Northern Ireland
- 1979 until 1989: student of English Language and Literature combined with History and Political Science at Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU); program of study completed with the 1st state examination for secondary school teaching
- 1979: Abitur (higher-education entrance qualification)
German (mother tongue), English (fluent, near-native level), French (advanced level) Italian (basic level)
In particular, my translatory and terminological focus is on
- Electrical engineering
- Medium and low-voltage power distribution
- Electrical installation systems
- Electronics and semiconductor industry
- IT and software
- Quality management
- Medical engineering
- Plant engineering
- Law (notarized contracts and powers of attorney; corporate law)
- SDL Trados Studio
- SDL MultiTerm
- Termstar (STAR Transit)
- BDÜ e.V. (Federal Association of Interpreters and Translators in Germany)